Before buying a vacuum cleaner, decide on what is perfect for you. Don’t just buy a top rated vacuum; choose one that is best suited for your needs. Do some research online and you’ll see that the best vacuum for wood flooring, thick carpets, and upholstered furniture is quite different.
You can also visit vacuum cleaners shops. The salesperson usually has more information on the brands and models. They help you choose the right one according to your needs. Another advantage of visiting these shops is you can test the vacuum cleaners yourself, so that you can decide on what kind of height, size, weight, and suction power are right for you. If this is not possible for whatever reason, you’ll want to at least stick with reputable online retailers like amazon.com.
Don’t end up buying a high-priced heavy duty machine with features that you will never use for your home. Sometimes cheaper ones with good features work best for you. These are some guidelines that will help you pick the right vacuum cleaner for your home.
There are many types of vacuums available in the market:
- Upright Vacuums: Upright vacuums are easy to carry and easy to store. They are featured with easy-to-use pile height adjustment that helps you clean the thick carpets. It’s a good choice if you prefer to push the vacuum instead of pulling and if you have a lot of carpets on the floor.
- Canister Vacuum: Canister vacuum are a little heavier but they are also quieter. It’s ideal for bare floors, stairs, furniture, etc. You can easily clean the under beds, carpets, draperies, etc. It can be carried around your home comfortably for easier cleaning of pot shelves and tall furniture like book-cases.
- Sweep/stick Vacuum: Sweep/stick vacuum is used for a quick cleanup of kitchen and bath. It can be used for carpeted floors of the entryway. Because of its smaller size and lighter weight, it is great choice for daily vacuuming routines.
- Cordless Vacuum: Cordless vacuum is easy to use, lightweight, and portable. It can be used hand held or upright. It is perfect for cleaning everyday mess like litter, spills, animal hair, etc. Upright is preferable for quick cleanups.
- Central Vacuum System: Central vacuum system is the most power-full one. It is a built-in system with a motor and a dirt canister. The operation is quite because of motor installed. The central vacuum system carries dirt away and the canister needs emptying after using it for several times.
Other factors to be considered apart from your budget are maintenance, bagged/bag less, economically designed handle, durability, service and HEPA filtration system. It is very essential to know about the maintenance to avoid repairs and to keep your vacuum run smoothly for years.
Canister vacuum comes with bag and without bag. You don’t need to buy or change bags if you choose a bagless models, you can simply empty the collection cup when it is full. Do note that you need to empty the collection cup of the bagless model more often than the bagged models.
If you are allergic to dust mites or suffer from asthma, consider buying a bagged one with good filtration system. This is very important because even if you wear a mask when handling the dust, the bagless models tend to leak the dist mites, fungus, bacteria, mold spores, allergens, etc. into the air.
It is always recommended to choose the HEPA (high-efficiency particulate air) to prevent any respiratory problems in your family. Be aware of the fake models in the market that do not meet the standards.